Monday, January 4, 2010

Madame Bovary

so... I began reading Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert... and that's like... a year ago or something like that. and I must honestly say that I've never in my whole life been as bored by a book as I was when I tried to read Madame Bovary.

I know alot people will be shocked when they read this but this is simply how I felt when I read that book; bored out of my mind.
like... I just had to stop reading it at some point. I didn't make it further than page 83, and that is sad, I know.

when I got that book I was really eager to read it because to me the story seemed promising and the fact that it is a classic and has many fans didn't let me question it's quality. but it was when I opened it and began reading that I couldn't understand anymore where all the fuss about this book came from.

the story is about a girl named Emma who has to marry a doctor and moves from the country to the city. at the beginning she imagines herself a life full of glamour and romance in the big city but soon she discovers that she's unhappy with her life and gets more and more depressed. then it goes on to her cheating on her husband and getting more and more lonely and depressed... and I didn't make it any further so I can't say anything more about the story.

I know, not very "Rory" of me, but I am not a person who'll finish every single book just for the sake of it. if it doesn't really catch my full attention at once I get bored with books and just never finish them... that's exactly what happened here. and part of me wants to try again, and maybe at some point I will, and maybe I'll even reconsider my opinion on it... but not for now, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment